JUNE 20, 2019
Emerald Event Center
33040 Just Imagine Drive in Avon
Join us at the fourth annual Spellebrate Lorain County: A Night At The Bee, where you don't have to be a good speller to have a great time!
Teams of four will compete against each other in this fun, informal and non-traditional spelling bee for a chance to win a $1,000 grand prize.
Don't want to join a team? Well that's okay! Spectators can influence the outcome of the game for a chance to win a jackpot of their own.
No matter your role, it's sure to be fun and unlike any other event you've ever attended!
Team registrations are available for $200 and spectator tickets are $30 each. All attendees receive dinner and one drink ticket.
HOW IT WORKS
- Team members will collaborate on the spelling of each word before turning in their answer.
- The game will consist of four rounds. Elimination will begin after the conclusion of the second round (all teams guaranteed at least the first two rounds of competition).
- The teams with the most correct spellings will automatically advance.
- A limited amount of teams on the verge of elimination can be saved by the audience or by winning competitive advantages (more on that below).
- The winning team wins $1,000 and the coveted traveling trophy.
The Honey Pot Raffle:
- Each team in the competition will have a separate container (called Honey Pots) used to collect raffle tickets.
- Spectators will place their 50/50 raffle ticket(s) in the Honey Pot that represents the team(s) they wish to support.
- Honey Pots, and the tickets within them, will be eliminated as their corresponding teams are eliminated from the competition.
- At the conclusion of the game, one 50/50 raffle ticket will be pulled from the Honey Pot of the winning team and the holder of this ticket will win the jackpot - meaning spectators only have a chance to win the jackpot if a team they have supported wins the spelling bee!
- The winner of the Honey Pot raffle will win half of the money raised in all of the Honey Pots (not just the money from the winning Honey Pot).
- Throughout the game, there will be opportunities for a limited amount of teams on the verge of elimination to be saved and advanced into the next round based on the amount of support (tickets + competitive advantages) inside each Honey Pot.
- In short, spectators have the ability to influence the outcome of the game by how they choose to play their raffle tickets - all while trying to help keep their individual chances of winning the jackpot alive!
- Teams in the Spelling Bee can win competitive advantages prior to the event by crowdfunding. Teams can also purchase additional advantages during the game.
- The competitive advantages have an assigned numerical value and can be placed strategically into the Honey Pots to boost their count. Teams can use their advantage to boost their own Honey Pot if they are on the verge of elimination and need saved. Teams can also choose to play the advantage in another team’s Honey Pot in an effort to dictate which team(s) they will face in the next round.
- Costumes are encouraged but not required. All teams that dress in costumes will receive an additional competitive advantage.
Other Ways to Win:
- In addition to the Honey Pot raffle, there will be a silent auction and sideboard games running throughout the evening.
List of Champions:
- 2018: The Great Gats-Bees (Lorain Public Library)
- 2017: Bee-utiful Ladies of Oberlin Rotary
- 2016: Wordly Wise (Kendal at Oberlin)